Are you thinking about purchasing a Condo? Watch this video as I go talk about 5 strata rules that you may not know about.
Condos are great way to own home. But many people do not talk about the rules associated with living in a condo. Watch this video as I go over 5 disadvantages about condo living that you may not have thought about.
- Force you to sell - when you are behind on your strata payments, the strata can take you to court and the court can force you to sell your unit.
- Ban your current Pets or Tenants - Pets and Tenants may be allowed in your condo building but if they endanger other owners in the building, the strata has the power to ban pets and tenants from the building.
- Restrict your renovations - all renovations have to be approved by the strata. Those that have not been can be removed by the strata.
- Restrict Smoking in your unit - you may think smoking is allowed in your unit as long as you don’t smoke in the common area, but you’re wrong. A smoking ban restricts smoking for the entire building including your unit.
- Access to your unit - under emergencies or when a notice to inspect your unit has been posted, the strata or building manager may enter your unit. This is most common when contractors need access to your unit to inspect or replace something that may put your unit and the building in danger. Example would be a smoke detector or cleaning out your dryer vent.
So there you have it, the 5 rules that you may not have thought about when living in a condo. If you have any questions about this topic please feel free to reach out to me.
Question of the day, would you still buy a condo even if it had unreasonable rules? Please leave it in the comments below. I will try my best to personally answer all comments myself.