Home Insurance: Water Intake Line Bursts

Tenants and the Need for Condo Insurance when your the Landlord


Being a Realtor I have always recommended everybody I knew to purchase condo insurance.  Now after years of paying for condo insurance premiums I had the misfortune to actually file a claim.  


The Story:


10pm - Water Intake line bursts


10pm - 10:15pm - Tenant evacuates the unit to pull the fire alarm.


10:15 pm - Tenant notifies landlord.  Instructions are given for the tenant to use the insuite unit water shut off valve.  


The Damage:  15 minutes of running water caused damage to 4 units and about $50,000.  Strata deductible of $10,000 My Insurance Deductible: $500.  Yearly premiums only $350, Gore Mutual Insurance your a life saver. 



1) Always purchase condo insurance.

2) Renters should purchase content insurance so they can be placed in a hotel.

3) Detailed instructions should be posted in your rental condo on the location of both water shut off and electrical panel.

4) Even braided steel hoses can burst.  They should last 20 years.  This line must have been defective.

5) Never ever evacuate a home unless you are really in danger.



No comments

Post Your Comment:

The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver (REBGV), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB.